Recruiting / Hiring
The West Valley City Police Department accepts applications for Police Officers through a continuous hiring announcement issued through West Valley City Human Resources. Applicants are divided into four groups: non-certified, SFO/BCO, certifiable/currently attending, and certified/law enforcement experienced. Applicants who successfully complete the initial application will receive notification when the next step in the hiring process is scheduled. Scheduling of the physical fitness and written examination for Non-Certified candidates will be done on an “as needed” basis.
Pay & Benefits
1 for 1 service credit for previous law enforcement experience up to 10 years (including Corrections time).
Shift Differential (Day, Afternoon, Graveyard)
- Step 1 $20.75/hour ($43,160/year) - $21.78/hour ($45,318/year)
- Step 10 $31.80/hour ($66,154/year) - $33.39/hour ($69,461/year)
The entire pay scale can be found here.
Police Officer 1st Class
This program allows Officers with at least 8 years of experience (2 with WVC) to promote to a higher grade of Officer within the pay scale. This is a career track for those that intend to be the most highly trained, experienced, and dependable Officers.
- Pay ranges from $28.00/hour ($58,246/year) to $35.06/hour ($72,933/year)
Paid Time Off
1 for 1 service credit for previous law enforcement experience.
- Employees receive a lump sum of 80 PTO hours every November after they have completed probation.
- PTO Accruals:
- Year 1-5 4 hours/pay period (184 total hours/year)
- Year 6-10 5 hours/pay period (210 total hours/year)
- Year 11-15 6 hours/pay period (236 total hours/year)
- Year 16-20 7 hours/pay period (262 total hours/year)
- Year 20+ 8 hours/pay period (288 total hours/year)
11 Holidays/year (110 hours/year)
- Health Insurance: Provider is through Select Health
- Dental: Provider is through Educators Mutual Insurance (EMI)
- Mental Health: Blomquist Hale/University of Utah
- Insurance Premium Rates can be found here.
- Officers are given a uniform allowance of $1,200/year.
- This is split into 3 payments of $400 throughout the year.
Take Home Vehicle
- All Officers are allowed a take home vehicle if their residence is within 35 miles from the border of West Valley City.
- Cost is $1 per mile per paycheck.
- Officers can apply and be approved for $10,000 to purchase a home in West Valley City.
- Officers can apply to receive $165/month for 5 years for living within West Valley City. This option is renewable every 5 years.
- Officers can be approved for both incentives, but must stay employed and living within West Valley City for 5 years.
- Retirement is through Utah Retirement Systems (URS)
- New members of URS can find additional info here.
The West Valley City Police Department accepts applications for Police Officers through a continuous hiring announcement.
All applications are accepted online and can be found here.
Applicants are divided into four groups: Non-Certified, SFO/BCO, Certifiable/Currently Attending, and Certified/Law Enforcement Experienced. Applicants who successfully complete the initial application will receive notification when the next step in the hiring process is scheduled.
- Non-Certified Candidates: Are those individuals who have not attended POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training) or an equivalent police academy. This category typically includes Correctional Officers and those with only SFO (Special Functions Officer) certification.
- SFO/BCO Candidates: This category includes Correctional Officers and those with SFO (Special Functions Officer) & BCO (Basic Correctional Officer) certifications.
- Certifiable Candidates: Are those individuals who are currently attending a POST certified academy or have successfully graduated POST or an equivalent police academy (Category 1 Peace Officer certification from another state) but do not have any law enforcement experience.
- Certified Candidates: Are those individuals who have successfully completed the police academy and have police officer experience with a state or local law enforcement agency or department. This may include those that have worked as an Agent with AP&P (Adult Probation and Parole) in a position that requires LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) certification. This category is also frequently referred to as Lateral Candidates.
Preference points are added to an applicant’s score for the following:
- Military experience
- College degrees from regionally accredited universities
- Foreign language proficiency
- West Valley City residence
The West Valley City Police Department offers opportunities to work in a progressive, full service police department. Officers with the police department have the opportunity to promote through the ranks, as well as take advantage of specialty assignments and collateral duties.
All applicants must complete the hiring process in order to receive a final offer of employment. If selected for hire by the Chief, the candidate will receive a conditional offer of employment and must pass a Computerized Voice Stress Analysis, Psychological Evaluation, and Medical Evaluation to receive a final offer of employment. If a non-certified candidate is hired, they will be sent through the POST academy by the department and will receive all benefits afforded a full-time police officer of West Valley City.
Certifiable and Certified/Lateral applicants DO NOT have to complete a Physical Fitness Test or Written Examination.
- Application – All applications must be filled out correctly and include the required attachments
- Personal Background Investigation - First Review
- Physical Fitness Test – (Non-Certified ONLY)
- Push Up - Minimum 14 repetitions without stopping
- Sit Up – Minimum 23 repetitions in one minute
- Vertical Jump – Minimum 14.5 inches
- 1.5 Mile Run – Complete in under 16 minutes 11 seconds
- Preliminary Panel Interview - (Non-Certified & Certifiable/Currently Attending ONLY)
- Personal Background Investigation - Full Investigation
- Chief of Police Panel Interview
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- CVSA, Psychological Examination, & Medical Examination
- Final Offer
Appointment by the Chief of Police
Candidates who pass these examinations will be subject to hiring at the discretion of the Chief of Police, in accordance with Human Resources.
Utah National Peace Officer Selection Test (Utah N.P.O.S.T.)
West Valley City requires a passing Peace Officer Entrance Examination score. This exam is no longer required by Utah POST but we use it as a replacement for the Police Departments written test.
The N.P.O.S.T. consists of four timed sections: math, reading comprehension, grammar and incident report writing. A passing score is 70% or higher in each section of the test.
Bridgerland Applied Technology Center
1301 N 600 W
Logan, UT 84321
USU Eastern Price Campus Testing Center
451 E 400 N
Price, UT 84501
USU Eastern Price Campus Testing Center Website
USU Eastern Blanding Campus Testing Center
639 West 100 S
Blanding, UT 84511
USU Eastern Blanding Campus Testing Center Website
Davis Applied Technology Center
550 E 300 S
Kaysville, UT 84037
7:45 to 2:30
7:45 to 4:30
7:45 to 11:30
On a walk-in basis during testing hours. Fee $30 Requires Picture I.D. is required.
Dixie State College Testing Center
North Plaza Building
1000 E 100 S
St. George, UT
Salt Lake Community College
South City Campus School of Applied Technology Testing Center
1575 S State Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
Phone: 801-957-3267 (testing center)
Email Salt Lake Community College
Salt Lake Community College Website
- Fee: $30, Must have current government-issued photo ID.
- Testing: Every Tuesday and Wednesday starting at 5:40 p.m., and by appointment.
Salt Lake Community College
9750 S 300 W
MFEC Room Number 238
Sandy, UT 84070
Proctor Station Phone: 801-957-5221
Salt Lake Community College Website
Testing: Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and first Saturday of the month 8 a.m. to Noon.
Southern Utah University
West University Boulevard
Cedar City, UT 84720
Phone: 435-865-8113 351
Testing: The 4th Tuesday of the month, except for holidays. Other testing times can be arranged. Please email for a testing appointment.
Uintah Basin Applied Technology Center
1100 E Lagoon Street (124-5)
Roosevelt, UT 84066
Testing: Contact testing center for an appointment. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Utah Valley University
Phone: 801-863-8269 Call for appointment to test.
Utah Valley University Website
Weber State University Testing Center
1112 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408-1112
Testing: Wednesdays at 2 and 6 Call for specific information.
A study guide for the Utah NP.O.S.T. is available for purchase for approximately $6 at the following Salt Lake Community College Bookstores.
- Jordan Campus Bookstore Phone: 801-957-2620
- Redwood Campus Bookstore Phone: 801-957-4045
- Sandy Campus Bookstore Phone: 801-957-3726
- South City Campus Bookstore Phone: 801-957-3329
All candidates are urged to call the bookstore they would like to purchase a study guide at, in advance, to verify they have the guide in stock and available for purchase.
Once the NPOST test is scored the testing facility is contacted with the results at which time they will mail or email you a copy. Each testing facility may have a standard process on how they distribute test results. It may take approximately 4 weeks to receive your test results.