1000 B.C. - 500 A.D.
Archaeological records indicate that the area now known as West Valley City was inhabited by tribal communities. Materials found at approximately 7200 West and 3500 South are believed to have been used in a temporary camp during the Archaic Phase. Additionally, the discovery of materials indicative of stone tools suggests that another Archaic campsite was established near SR-201 and 5400 West.
Pre-1800s Historical records indicate that there was a Ute and Shoshone presence in the area west of the Jordan River, including what is now West Valley City, prior to Pioneer Settlement.
1848: Joseph Harker and a handful of Mormon settlers cross the Jordan River near today's 3300 South. The group spends the winter in dugouts cut into river-bottom bluffs and in the spring moves to present day Taylorsville.
3500 South becomes Granger's first paved street.
1942: Industrial growth caused by World War II increases the population of the Granger, Hunter and Chesterfield areas.
Valley West Hospital opens.
1970: Valley Fair Mall opens.
Hunter replaces West Jordan as the Salt Lake Valley's fastest growing community.
1980: Granger, Hunter and Redwood residents vote to incorporate and become West Valley City. Population: 72,509.
Pioneer Valley Hospital opens.
1990: West Valley City Hall dedicated. Population: 86,976.
Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt declares West Valley City a "first-class city," with over 100,000 residents.
1996: City leaders lure the Denver Grizzlies hockey team to relocate to West Valley City by building a hockey arena for the 2002 Winter Olympics.
The City opens the 10,500-seat E Center (now Maverik Center), which will be used for concerts, sporting events, the 2002 Winter Olympics and as the home of the Utah Grizzlies.
1998: The City dedicates the Hale Centre Theatre at Harman Hall.