Procedure & Requirements
A Right-of-Way Permit is required for any work in the City’s right-of-way. This permit can be obtained from the West Valley City Public Works Department located at:
3600 S Constitution Boulevard (2700 W)
West Valley City, UT 84119
- Create an account and apply online at West Valley City’s new Permitting and Licensing Portal.
- Upload required submittals
- Once the right-of-way permit application is completed correctly and all required submittals are included, it will be submitted to the appropriate person for review. Notification will be given of the approval or denial within seven business days. A pre-construction meeting will be required.
The following items 1 to 3 must be on file with the Engineering Division prior to the acceptance of an excavation permit application. The remaining items are either optional or required depending upon the specifics associated with the excavation permit.
- Current copy of a Utah Contractors License.
- An original Certificate of Insurance (PDF) with West Valley City listed as the certificate holder (Each Occurrence $1,000,000 minimum, General Aggregate $1,000,000).
- An original License and Permit Bond bound to West Valley City for a minimum of $10,000 (sufficient to cover all work done for a period of 12 months). Bond Continuation Certificates may be required.
Note: We do not supply the forms for items 2 and 3, they are obtained
from your insurance carrier / bonding company (original copies only no faxes). If you are sending these documents to us, please send them to
the following address:
Attention: Ryan Ramirez
West Valley City Engineering Division
3600 S Constitution Boulevard
West Valley City, UT 84119
- MUTCD compliant traffic control plan for all work within the roadway (samples available upon request)
- Materials submittals required.
- Street closures will require at least seven days advance notice along with a certified traffic control plan prior to approving the road closure request. This permit is obtained from our office and must be approved by the City Engineer, Police Department and Fire Department.
Permits are valid for a maximum of 45 calendar days. If work has not been completed by the permit’s expiration date a permit extension must be obtained.
Inspection Requirements (after permit approval only)
An inspection time must be scheduled at least 24 hours prior to beginning any construction (48 hour notice required for all weekend work). Call 801-963-3318 to schedule an inspection.
See West Valley City Engineering Standards.
For Assistance or Questions
Email Ryan Ramirez
For an inspection or to activate a permit please call 801-963-3318.