Residential Electrical Service Upgrade

Permit Required
An electrical Service Upgrade Permit is required whenever you increase the size of your main service or panel, replace it because of damage, relocate due to construction to your home, or because of outdated or worn out equipment.

The cost for this permit is $53 for up to 200 amps, 200-400 amps $79.50 over 400 amps $95.40.

This permit can be obtained at the West Valley City Offices:
3600 S. Constitution Blvd. (2700 W.)
Room #220, Building Inspections
West Valley City, UT 84119

Monday - Thursday
7 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Ph: 801-963-3283

When to Get a Permit
The permit must be taken out by the person doing the work, the electrical contractor or the homeowner. State law does allow a homeowner of a single family residence to do his or her electrical work.

We need the following information to process your permit:
  • Address of the owner
  • Exact address of the residence
  • Name of the state licensed electrical contractor, state license number, address, and phone number
  • Owners name
Once the permit is obtained you can schedule an inspection by calling (801) 963-3283. When an inspector approves the work, we will contact Rocky Mountain Power and authorize power to the installation.

We can make special arrangements for power to panel inspections if requested at least 48 hours in advance. We will coordinate our inspection time with you and Rocky Mountain Power to minimize time without electricity for all existing buildings.