West Valley City Fire Department tests once per year to develop a hiring roster. The testing process normally occurs in the Spring of each year, with the application process tentatively starting in May. You may check for open positions or sign up to be notified when positions are posted on the West Valley City Jobs website.
All applicants must complete the hiring process in order to receive a final offer of employment.
- Application – All applications must be filled out correctly and include the required attachments
- Online Written Test – (General Aptitude Test)
- The written test will evaluate whether or not you possess the critical, and job-related, skills and abilities necessary for success on the job.
- Physical Ability Test (PAT)
- 400 Meter Run
- Stair Climb/Rope Pull
- Ladder Extension
- Mannequin Drag
- Hose Line Exit
- Punisher Sled
- Hose Drag
- Preliminary Interview
- Following the placement tests, a list of eligible candidates will be established. Candidates will be notified when their name is reached on the hiring list. Candidates selected from the hiring list must pass a Chief's interview.
- Chief Panel Interview
- Conditional Offer
- Pre-employment Physician Exam, Background Investigation, & Drug Screening
- Final Offer
Depending on vacancies, we host up to two recruit academies per year. The first starting tentatively at the end of August, and second tentatively at the beginning of March. The 10-week Fire academy will provide each candidate with their Fire I & II, Hazmat Ops and Awareness Certifications.
The minimum qualifications needed to apply are:
- Must be 18 years old by the application due date.
- Possession of a valid State issued Driver’s License.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a G.E.D certificate.
- Certified or currently enrolled in an emergency Medical Technician training/certification program (Attachment required). Candidates must possess their EMT-Basic certification prior to their start date.