- City Boards & Commissions
- Professional Standards Review Board
Professional Standards Review Board
The Professional Standards Review Board (Citizens’ Review Board) consists of seven citizen volunteers. The Review Board meets monthly and reviews all citizen complaints, all "Use of Force" occurrences, and all vehicle pursuits. The members of the Citizens’ Review Board serve for a two year term and are nominated from the community. Nominations are accepted by the West Valley City Manager and appointment is made by the West Valley City Council. The Review Board’s chairperson is selected by the members of the board.
Employees of the city, including but not limited to employees of the Police Department, shall not be permitted to serve as voting members on the Board. Members of the Board shall be appointed by the city Manager with the advice and consent of the West Valley City Council. The Police Department may not observe or participate in the nomination process, including interviews of current or prospective board members. Terms shall be two years in length. Members may be reappointed to the Board.
The duties of the Review Board will be to:
- The Board shall review the following matters:
- All uses of force by the West Valley City Police Department
- All vehicular pursuits
- All internal affairs investigations of police officers
- For the purpose of this Chapter, “use of force” shall be defined as the application of physical techniques or tactics, chemical agents, or weapons to another person. The display of a firearm or a taser shall be considered a use of force for the purpose of this Chapter. When a person submits to being searched, escorted, or restrained, such search, escort, or restraint shall not be considered a use of force for the purpose of this Chapter.
- For the purpose of this Chapter, “vehicular pursuit” shall be defined as an active attempt by an officer in an authorized emergency vehicle to apprehend fleeing suspects who are attempting to avoid apprehension through evasive and unlawful tactics.
The Professional Standards Review Board has been recognized for their community service throughout the State of Utah.
Become a Nominee
If you are interested in becoming a nominee for the Review Board submit your information on our form.