The Investigations Section is a component of the Special Operations Bureau and is supervised by two Investigations Lieutenants. This section is responsible for follow up investigations on all active cases generated by the Patrol Bureau; detectives may also initiate proactive investigations. The Investigations Section is comprised of five investigative groups, supervised by a Detective Sergeant:
- Property Investigative Unit - This unit handles all property related crimes to include juvenile property related offenses.
- Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) Investigative Unit - This unit handles all CIT Type related information along with assisting the Mental Health Court. The City Attorney Investigators are also assigned to this group.
- Special Victims Unit - These detectives investigate sexual abuse, sexual exploitation crimes against children, and physical/neglect abuse of children. They also investigate sexual abuse of adults and abuse of the elderly.
- Violent Crimes Unit - Violent Crimes detectives investigate shootings, aggravated assaults, and robberies. This unit also handles all domestic violence related offenses and other significant criminal investigations that require investigative expertise and highly coordinated investigations.
- Homicide Unit - The Homicide Unit responds to critical incidents including homicides, officer involved critical incidents (OICI), kidnappings, and other significant criminal investigations that require investigative expertise and highly coordinated investigations.
Filing a Report / Investigation Questions
If you need to file a report with our agency, please call the non-emergency dispatch number: 801-840-4000. However, if you already have a case number and wish to speak to the detective handling your investigation, please call 801-963-3293.