Small Claims

Small claims cases are civil actions to recover money. The amount of money to be recovered cannot exceed statutorial limits which are set by the legislature. Limits of claims and fees are to be found in Utah Code Section 78A-8-102. Small claims cases cannot be used to sue a government entity, to sue for possession of a property, to evict a tenant or to recover an assigned claim.

A small claims case must be filed in the justice court where the defendant resides or where the claim arose (where the events happened). The forms below can be used in the West Valley Justice Court.

For more information, please refer to the Utah Courts Website as well as the Online Dispute Resolution page

Small Claims Forms