Neighborhood Events

Why organize regular a neighborhood party?

Block parties are simply a great way to meet your neighbors! They provide a casual relaxed setting where residents can meet, play, eat and hopefully find similarities that bring them closer together. Neighborhood meetings are great places to discuss business and issues, but then to be formal and less conducive to meeting new people. With a little effort and consistency, a neighborhood of strangers can be transformed into a connected community of families that care for each other and the overall health and vibrancy of their neighborhood.

To be successful, a block party requires some planning. This page and the resources listed below are intended to help you and your neighborhood organize, find needed resources, advertise, and make sure all the necessary approvals and permits (as needed) have been filed in a timely manner.

Some reasons to hold a neighborhood block party:

  • Build a safer neighborhood
  • Address resident concerns
  • Get to know neighbors
  • Celebrate a day of service or clean up project
  • Bring harmony to the neighborhood
  • Participate in National Night Out
  • Have fun as a neighborhood!
Outside Neighborhood Party

Where to get started...

For questions and more information about Neighborhood Events, please contact the West Valley City Neighborhood Services Office at 801-963-3285.

Community Events

The City is frequently asked to attend community events and provide information tables about city resources and programs. The Neighborhood Services Office is excited to be part of these valuable community building events when staff time and resources permit.

Some examples of community events can include 

  • Awareness events
  • Business employee events
  • Church events
  • Community Emergency Preparedness Fairs
  • Job Fairs
  • School events

Request Form to Attend Community Events with City Information Table (PDF)

People Talking by Vendor Tents

Special Events Permitting

A Special Event Permit is required for a wide variety of events or short-term activities that may impact neighboring properties, and that may involve the:

  • Use of temporary structures
  • Temporary use of property for commercial or charitable purposes
  • Use of temporary displays visible off the property or sound systems audible off the property
  • Temporary use of public rights-of-way
  • Use of temporary signage

Special Events may include, but are not limited to:

  • Carnivals
  • Charitable Fundraising Events
  • Fairs
  • Festivals
  • Marathons
  • Parades

For questions and more information about the Special Events Permit, please contact the West Valley City Planning and Zoning Division at 801-963-3282.