West Valley City Animal Services is proud to operate a no-kill animal shelter!
How many pets am I allowed to adopt?
West Valley City allows owners of dogs and cats to keep up to two dogs and two cats for a total of four pets per household. On March 5, 2019, City Council voted to enact a Pet Exception Permit, allowing owners to keep any combination of cats and dogs, as long as the total number of pets per household remains at four.
Pet Exception Permit
(1) The Animal Control Division may issue a permit to owners of Dogs and Cats to keep up to four Dogs or Cats (but not more than four Household Pets) in a residential area provided:
a. The owner completes the application and pays all associated fees;
b. All Dogs and Cats at the address are rendered sterile;
c. All Dogs and Cats at the address are microchipped;
d. Adequate areas for confinement and shelter are provided; and
e. The owners have not been found in violation of this Title or Title 76, Chapter 9, Part 3, Utah Code Annotated 1953, within the past 12 months.
(2) The Pet Exception Permit may be immediately revoked if the owners are found to be in violation of this Title or Title 76, Chapter 9, Part 3, Utah Code Annotated 1953.
(Ord. No. 19-07 § 3 Enacted 03/05/2019)
Ask yourself these questions before you decide to add a dog to your family:
- Do you recognize that dogs are social animals who need interaction with people and other animals?
- Does your job require you to travel a lot or work late hours?
- Why do you want a dog?
- Will you create a backup plan to care for your dog in case you can't arrive home on time or must travel?
- Will you invest the time to properly socialize your puppy or dog and enroll him in a basic obedience class or puppy kindergarten?
- Will you make prior arrangements with responsible friends, a professional pet sitter, a doggie day-care center, or boarding center when you need to be away?
- Will you make sure your dog has bathroom breaks at least every 5 or 6 hours?
- Will you make sure your dog receives regular veterinary care?
- Will you schedule weekend time engaging in fun activities with him?
- Will you walk your dog at least twice daily - before and after work for 20 minutes or more each time?
Maranda WeathermonAnimal Services Director
Email Maranda Weathermon
Field Operations Supervisor
Email Mel Bennett
4522 W 3500 S
West Valley City, UT 84120
After Hours: 801-840-4000
Monday through Friday
9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.*
(open on second and fourth Saturday of each month)
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.*
*Monetary transactions are stopped 30 minutes prior to closing; adoption meet and greets are stopped one hour prior to closing each day to allow our staff to prepare the animals for bed.
The West Valley City Animal Shelter is closed on most nationally observed holidays.