West Valley City Animal Services is proud to operate a no-kill animal shelter!
In the wake of all the new challenges that our society faces, we are dedicated to having positive outcomes for our animals and citizens. This is an exciting time and the program is like no other in all the years the shelter has been open! We will be creating a digital meet and greet! Its like online dating only with dogs, cats or rabbits!
How many pets am I allowed to adopt?
West Valley City allows owners of dogs and cats to keep up to two dogs and two cats for a total of four pets per household. On March 5, 2019, City Council voted to enact a Pet Exception Permit, allowing owners to keep any combination of cats and dogs, as long as the total number of pets per household remains at four.
Pet Exception Permit
(1) The Animal Control Division may issue a permit to owners of Dogs and Cats to keep up to four Dogs or Cats (but not more than four Household Pets) in a residential area provided:
a. The owner completes the application and pays all associated fees;
b. All Dogs and Cats at the address are rendered sterile;
c. All Dogs and Cats at the address are microchipped;
d. Adequate areas for confinement and shelter are provided; and
e. The owners have not been found in violation of this Title or Title 76, Chapter 9, Part 3, Utah Code Annotated 1953, within the past 12 months.
(2) The Pet Exception Permit may be immediately revoked if the owners are found to be in violation of this Title or Title 76, Chapter 9, Part 3, Utah Code Annotated 1953.
(Ord. No. 19-07 § 3 Enacted 03/05/2019)
Ask yourself these questions before you decide to add a dog to your family:
- Do you recognize that dogs are social animals who need interaction with people and other animals?
- Does your job require you to travel a lot or work late hours?
- Why do you want a dog?
- Will you create a backup plan to care for your dog in case you can't arrive home on time or must travel?
- Will you invest the time to properly socialize your puppy or dog and enroll him in a basic obedience class or puppy kindergarten?
- Will you make prior arrangements with responsible friends, a professional pet sitter, a doggie day-care center, or boarding center when you need to be away?
- Will you make sure your dog has bathroom breaks at least every 5 or 6 hours?
- Will you make sure your dog receives regular veterinary care?
- Will you schedule weekend time engaging in fun activities with him?
- Will you walk your dog at least twice daily - before and after work for 20 minutes or more each time?
Animal Services Director
Email Melanie Bennett
Field Officer Supervisor
Email Douglas Olsen
Animal Care & Enrichment Supervisor
Email Tess Hartwell
4522 W 3500 S
West Valley City, UT 84120
After Hours: 801-840-4000
- Monday - Friday
- Lobby & Back Door (RTO, Strays, Community Cats)
- 11 AM - 6 PM
- Officers are available 8 AM - 6 PM
- Closed Saturday & Sunday
- After Hours Emergencies
Licensing, lost pets forms, and adoption applications may be completed online. Return to owner forms are also available; please call to make arrangements for pick up.
The West Valley City Animal Shelter is closed on most nationally observed holidays.
- Monday - Friday