Hours of Operation
The Parking Compliance Unit is staffed Monday and Tuesday from 6 AM to 5 PM; Wednesday and Thursday from 6 AM to 7 PM; and, Friday and Saturday from 9 AM to 7 PM. We do not operate on Sundays or Holidays.
To contact the Parking Compliance Unit call 801-963-3313. Please note, our Parking Compliance Specialists are in the field working during their assigned shift and messages left will be addressed as time permits.
For the fastest response, we encourage you to use online Citizen Service Request tool by clicking here.
Parking Dirty Dozen
The following is a list of the 12 most common parking violations in West Valley City. This is not a comprehensive list of traffic codes and violations. For a complete list, refer to West Valley City Code Title 22-2.
- Snow on Roads: Do not park on the street if there is one inch or more of snow accumulation. This allows the plows to keep your roads clear and safe for everyone.
- Parking Near Mailboxes: You can’t park within 15 feet of a public or private curbside mailbox between the hours of 8am and 5pm. Keep your distance so your neighbors can get their mail and you can avoid a citation.
- Sidewalks and Crosswalks: It’s illegal to park a vehicle where it blocks a sidewalk or is within 20 feet of a crosswalk. Keep them clear.
- Fire Hydrants and Fire Lanes: There’s no parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant. In the event of a fire, fire fighting equipment will need that space to access the hydrant. Same goes for fire lanes, which are marked by a red curb. Don’t park there.
- Too Far from the Curb: When you park on a street, make sure there’s no more that 12 inches between the curb and your tires. Any more than that interferes with traffic flow.
- Wrong Direction: When parking on a street, park in the same direction that traffic would travel. On a two-way road, the passenger side of your vehicle should be along the curb.
- Vehicles Required to be Registered and Insured: Any vehicle parked on a public street is required to be lawfully registered and properly display a valid license plate or temporary permit. Vehicle’s parked on the public roadway must have active insurance coverage.
- 72 Hours: You can’t leave a vehicle on the road for more than 72 consecutive hours. The vehicle must move or it’s subject to a ticket.
- Driveways: Parking is not allowed within five feet of someone’s driveway. Driveways need to be clear so that people can pull in and out without another vehicle obstructing them.
- RVs/Boats/Camper Trailers: Recreational vehicles, boats, or camping trailers may not be parked, placed or stored on the public street for longer than 24 hours of any continuous 48 hour period.
- Semis/Large Vehicles: If your vehicle or combination has a length of more than 45 feet, or a width of more than 8 feet, or a height of more than 14 feet, or a gross weight over 18,000 lbs., or more than 2 axles, it can not be parked on any city street unless it is actively loading/unloading passengers and/or freight.
- Stop Signs and Signals: You can’t park within 30 feet of a stop sign or other traffic signal located at the side of the road. Parking too close creates a hazard, preventing drivers from clearly seeing the signal. Give the appropriate distance and help prevent accidents.
This is not a comprehensive list of traffic codes and violations. For a complete list, refer to West Valley City Code Title 22-2.