Residential Video Inspection Program
The purpose of the West Valley City Residential Video Inspection Program is to provide increased customer service by providing an alternative to a traditional in person inspection for eligible residential inspections, including limited re-inspections. The program requires the customer to use Facetime (iPhone) or Google Duo (iPhone or Android) app on a minimum 4G smart phone or connected to WIFI in order to interact with the City Inspector. In the event a video inspection is attempted and for technical reasons cannot be completed a traditional inspection must be scheduled.
Video Inspection Process
- Schedule a remote video inspection by calling 801-963-3283. Inspections can be performed during normal City business hours, Monday through Thursday, 7 AM - 6 PM.
- A City Inspector will initiate a video call to the customer at the scheduled time.
- The City Inspector will direct customer to send video images of work to be inspected.
- Inspection results will be entered into the City’s portal system so that the customer may review the results, complete any necessary repairs or changes, and finalize the permit.
- Rooftop Solar
- Furnace Replacement
- Water Heater
- Water Softener
- Plumbing Re-Pipe
- Gas Line Extension for BBQ and Fire Pits
- A/C Change Out
- Main Line Water Repair
- Electrical Service Change
- Swamp Cooler
Note: If for any reason the Inspector is not able to complete the inspection via the Residential Video Inspection Program, every effort will be made to route a field inspector to complete the inspection the same day. If this is not possible, the inspector will schedule a field inspection for the next business day.
- 4G Wireless service or better
Ensure inspection location and smart phone or tablet has minimum 4G connectivity or WiFi connection.
- Google Duo or Facetime app installed on smart phone
An active account is required for performing inspection.
- Prepare for inspection. Prior to scheduled inspection time, ensure all necessary tools based on type of inspection are readily available. For example; tape measure, level, GFCI tester, flashlight, step ladder, etc.
- Schedule the Inspection. At least one hour prior to when the inspection is needed, call WVC Building Inspection at (801) 963-3283 and provide the following information:
- Which app (Facetime or Duo) will be used for the video inspection
- What time the inspection is being requested to be performed
- The permit number for the project
- Name of installer/contractor that will be receiving the call
- Phone number of the installer/contractor that the inspector will call
- Prepare to receive the video call
- Must be at least 18 years old or with an adult to perform the video inspection.
- Ensure smart phone or tablet is fully charged.
- Respond to video call from Inspector.
- Be prepared to accept video call at scheduled time.
- Have all required tools as necessary for inspection.
- Turn off notifications that may interrupt the video call. This is an important step, because notifications can freeze the call and will cause delays to the inspection and a possible failed inspection.
- Use ear buds with a microphone to improve communication (preferred).
- Set phone so that you have the small screen view of what the inspector sees:
- Tap the phone or device screen to access the tool bar.
- Tap the “FLIP” or reverse camera icon.
- Start inspection
- Begin inspection at street view looking at the structure
- The address must be shown in the initial view
- Follow the direction of the inspector.
- Walk inspection in a clockwise direction horizontally then bottom to top vertically (if more than one floor)
- Make notes of any corrections.
- Inspection results
- Inspector will inform you if the inspection receives a pass, partial or fail.
- The inspector will update the permitting system with the results at the completion of the Video call.
- An email copy of the inspection will be transmitted to the permit applicant.