Bulky Waste Collection

In addition to curbside garbage and recycling collection, West Valley City provides monthly bulky waste collection. All bulky waste should be placed neatly on the curbside no more than one day before your scheduled pickup day. Place the bulky waste items at least five feet away from your regular waste container, or any other obstacle, before 7 a.m. on the scheduled day. If you have any questions regarding bulky waste collection or need more information about rules and regulations, please contact the Sanitation Office at 801-963-3334.

Improperly prepared bulky waste items will not be picked up!

View the Bulky Waste Pickup Schedule.

Bulky Waste Rules & Regulations

Size & Weight Limits

All bulky waste must be bagged, boxed, or bundled. Boxes must be 30 gallons or smaller. Bundles must be no longer than 5 feet long. Boxes must be dry and kept dry. Bags, boxes, and bundles must weigh less than 75 pounds. 

Yard Trimmings & Limbs

Limbs 3 inches in diameter or smaller must be bundled in bundles weighing less than 75 lbs. Limbs larger than 3 inches in diameter must not weigh more than 75 lbs. or be more than 5 feet long. Grass clippings will not be picked up. Grass clippings must be placed in your garbage can. All yard waste must be bagged, boxed or bundled.

Appliances & furniture

Old appliances, carpet (in lengths less than 5 feet), and furniture (including couches and mattresses) can be put out for bulky waste collection. Appliances with FREON will not be collected unless it has a proper tag from a private company stating that the FREON has been removed. Appliances containing FREON may be taken to Salt Lake County Landfill.

Individual household items too large for garbage can

Examples: bicycles, tricycles, lawn mowers (with fuel and oil removed), children’s toys, etc.

Household Garbage

Everyday household waste you generate, like food waste and packaging must be disposed of in your garbage can. Excess garbage outside of your can will not be collected. Additional cans are available by calling 801-963-3334. Additional cans must be kept a minimum of 6 months.

Hazardous Materials

Paints, motor oil, solvents, bug spray, weed killer, batteries, fertilizers, and other hazardous materials cannot be put out for bulky waste collection. These items can be disposed for free at Salt Lake County Landfill.

Other Prohibited Items

  • Items made of or containing glass will not be accepted though bulky waste collection.
  • Bricks, Broken Concrete, Dirt, Piles of rocks
  • Construction or Demolition Waste
  • Business waste
  • Tires

Salt Lake County Landfill

6030 West California Ave. (1300 S.)