Summary of West Valley City Benefits (July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023)
West Valley City provides a competitive benefit package for qualified employees. Eligible employees can receive benefits on the first day of the month following their date of hire.
Social Security Exemption: Full-time Employees
West Valley City is a Social Security exempt employer and contributes to a retirement plan offered by Utah Retirement Systems (URS).
Medical Plans: Select Health
The city offers a three-tier preferred provider organization plan (PPO) for medical insurance. The plan includes Value Network, Med Network, and Non-Network coverage options.
- Deductible (PCY) (Value & Med Network): $500 Individual / $1,500 Family
- Out of Pocket Maximum (Value & Med Network): $3,000 Individual / $9,000 Family
- Deductible (PCY) (Non-Network): $1000 Individual / $3,000 Family
- Out of Pocket Maximum (Non-Network): $6,000 Individual / $18,000 Family
Employee Assistance Plan: Blomquist Hale - 100% City Paid
This benefit provides short-term, confidential counseling for you and anyone living in your household regardless of whether you and/or they are covered under your health insurance plan at no out-of-pocket expense to you. Each household member is entitled to 8 face-to-face visits and phone calls per incident.
Flex and Dependent Care: Rocky Mountain Reserve
Reimbursement accounts enable you to pay certain qualified expenses using tax-free dollars. Depending on your personal tax rate, this can save you 10% to 30% or more on medical, dental, vision, and/or dependent daycare/preschool out-of-pocket costs.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): This account allows you to set aside up to $2,850 in pretax dollars to pay most out-of-pocket medical, dental or vision care expenses, including: Medical and Dental Deductibles and Co-payments, Eyeglasses, Dental, and Orthodontic work not covered by insurance. Employees can rollover up to $570 annually.
- Dependent Care Assistance Plan (DCAP): This account lets you set aside up to $5,000 in pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible dependent care expenses so you (and if married, your spouse) can work. No annual rollover.
Dental Plan: EMI Health
The city pays 80% of the plan costs. Employees have access to both the Advantage and the Premier Networks for no additional cost.
Vision Plan: Samera Health
Employees can elect to enroll in a vision reimbursement plan which offers reimbursement on eye exams, frames, lenses, lens options, and contacts. Annual preventative eye exams are covered 100% through the Select Health Medical Plan.
Life Insurance: PEHP
Each eligible employee will receive $30,000 basic life insurance for themselves. The city pays the first $5,000 of the spouse's Supplemental Life coverage and the first $2,500 of the Dependent Child(ren)'s Supplemental Life coverage. Employees have the option to buy additional voluntary coverage.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D): PEHP
Plans are available for both individuals and family with coverage ranging from $50,000 to $250,000. West Valley City funds the first $50,000 of individual coverage for eligible employees. Employees have the option to buy additional voluntary coverage.
Short-term and Long-term Disability: The Standard - 100% City Paid
Short Term Disability (STD) replaces 60% of your income on a weekly basis in the event that you are unable to work due to sickness or injury. Maximum benefit period is 120 days. Long Term Disability (LTD) insurance replaces 60% of your income, up to $10,000, on a monthly basis in the event that you are unable to work due to an accident or illness. Eligible employees have a one-year waiting period before they are eligible for this benefit.
Retirement Systems: URS - 100% City Paid
West Valley City contributes to a retirement plan offered by Utah Retirement Systems (URS) for all benefited employees. Employees will be placed into Tier I or Tier II retirement plan based on the date they entered the Utah Retirement System. Benefits paid to employees at the time of retirement will depend on which Tier an employee is enrolled in and which option was selected. Pension and 401K employer contributions are vested after 4 years.
For Tier 2 employees (enrolled after July 2011). You are going to automatically receive an additional 2% contribution into your 401(k) from West Valley City as a benefit. If you invest at least 2% of your income, the city will match another 2%.
Optional Retirement Accounts: URS and MissionSquare - 100% Employee Paid
Employees have the option to contribute to a variety of savings account options through URS and MissionSquare.
Optional Worksite Products: Aflac - 100% Employee Paid
Employees have the option to enroll in additional benefit plan options at discounted group rates. Options include; Group Hospital Indemnity, Accident Plan, and Critical Illness.
|Full Time PTO Accruals||Firefighter PTO Accruals|
|Probationary – 4 hours per pay period||Probationary – 6 hours per pay period|
|Off Probation – 80 hours given each November PLUS:||Off Probation – 120 hours given each November PLUS:|
|4 hours per pay period 1 – 4 years||6 hours per pay period 1 – 4 years|
|5 hours per pay period after 5 years||7.5 hours per pay period after 5 years|
|6 hours per pay period after 10 years||9 hours per pay period after 10 years|
|7 hours per pay period after 15 years||10.5 hours per pay period after 15 years|
|8 hours per pay period after 20 years||12 hours per pay period after 20 years|
Eligible employees receive 11 paid holidays per year.
Employees have the opportunity to belong to two different fitness facilities.
- The Family Fitness Center located on 5415 West 3100 South. Free membership for employees with the option to add family members at discounted rates.
- West Valley City Hall Fitness Room is located on the first floor of City Hall. It is available for employees only and is open 24/7. The cost is $2.00 per pay period and there are showers and lockers available for your use.