Hazardous Materials

The Salt Lake County Landfill accepts most household hazardous materials:

  • Electronics
  • Paint
  • House and yard care chemicals
  • Batteries
  • Automotive fluids
  • Devices containing Mercury (fluorescent bulbs, thermometers, batteries, etc.)

Materials not accepted by the Salt Lake County Landfill:

  • Prescription drugs
    • Take to a drug collection box, located at most pharmacies and at the West Valley City Police Headquarters (3577 S. Market St.)
  • Used motor oil
    • Take to a local auto parts store for recycling
  • Explosives such as ammunition or fireworks
    • Call West Valley City Police Department non-emergency dispatch at 801-840-4000 to make arrangements for disposal.
Salt Lake County Landfill Button
Salt Lake County Health Department Button