The West Valley City Police Department offers opportunities to work in a progressive, full service police department. Officers with the police department have the opportunity to promote through the ranks, as well as take advantage of specialty assignments and collateral duties.
All applicants must complete the hiring process in order to receive a final offer of employment. If selected for hire by the Chief, the candidate will receive a conditional offer of employment and must pass a Computerized Voice Stress Analysis, Psychological Evaluation, and Medical Evaluation to receive a final offer of employment. If a non-certified candidate is hired, they will be sent through the POST academy by the department and will receive all benefits afforded a full-time police officer of West Valley City.
Certifiable and Certified/Lateral applicants DO NOT have to complete a Physical Fitness Test or Written Examination.
- Application – All applications must be filled out correctly and include the required attachments
- Personal Background Investigation - First Review
- Physical Fitness Test – (Non-Certified ONLY)
- Vertical Jump (14.5 inches)
- Push-Ups (14 Reps -Maximum repetitions with no time constraint and no rest during this phase of the test)
- Isometric Plank (:30)
- 1.5 Mile Run (16:11)
- Preliminary Panel Interview - (Non-Certified & Certifiable/Currently Attending ONLY)
- Personal Background Investigation - Full Investigation
- Chief of Police Panel Interview
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- CVSA, Psychological Examination, & Medical Examination
- Final Offer
APPOINTMENT BY THE CHIEF OF POLICE
Candidates who pass these examinations will be subject to hiring at the discretion of the Chief of Police, in accordance with Human Resources.