Business Licensing Steps

The State of Utah has developed a One-Stop Online Business Registration website that streamlines the process of registering a new business. The site is available 24 hours a day. It will guide you through a series of questions designed to comply with federal and state (and eventually even local) government registration requirements.

There is no extra cost involved with the online registration; only the customary fees charged by the agency itself. It is easy and a lot less cumbersome than physically visiting each agency in person.

Important Considerations

If your business entity will be: temporary (less than 90 days), involved in the sale of alcohol; door-to-door or street to street (e.g, ice cream vendor) solicitation, or a sexually-oriented business, you will need to contact the Business License Division directly to obtain the information specific for your business license.

Note: Before you decide on your business location, it is advisable to contact the Planning / Zoning Department to determine whether your business activity is allowable at that address.

1. Registration Of A Business Name

All entities doing business in Utah under an assumed business name must register with the State of Utah, Department of Commerce. If you are using your own name as your business name it will not need to be registered.

However, if you use any other name, or even your abbreviated name, you are required to register the name. This is called a fictitious name registration or DBA "Doing Business As" registration. For example, if your name is: Randy M. Jones and you name your business Randy Jones, you will not have to register it, but if you call it RMJ Enterprises, you will have to register the name. Corporations register their name when they file their Articles of Incorporation.

The above mentioned website will assist you in registering your name. You will be able to complete a preliminary search to see if the name is available and then take steps to register it. The Department of Commerce charges a $22 fee to register a DBA.

Note: If you do not want to use the online registration, you can go to the Department of Commerce in person. Using the method of fax or by mail will delay the processing of your license considerably. This delay is due to the fact that our license department needs proof that you have registered the name and that can only be done once the Department of Commerce provides the business owner with a receipt of the registration.

Register Locations

Heber M. Wells Building
160 E 300 South
1st Floor
Salt Lake City, UT 84134
Phone: 801-530-4849

State Tax Commission
210 N 1950 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84134

2. Obtain A State Sales Tax Number

Most businesses are required to collect and remit sales tax for the products (and some services) they provide to consumers. If you use the above mentioned website, you will obtain a sales tax number during this process.

If you choose not to use the website, you can go to the two addresses listed above (where you can register for the business name) and also obtain the sales tax number.

Note: The sales tax is coded to the city in which your business is located. It is expected that for every sales tax number related to West Valley City, there should be a corresponding business license issued by our city.

3. Obtain Employer Related Tax Numbers

If you will have employees, you are required to register with the following agencies. Please note that this information is also outlined at the State website given above. These agencies are:

  • Internal Revenue Service - You will need to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) in order to remit the Federal Tax Withholding and make FUTA(Federal Unemployment Tax) payments for your employees.
    • Note: you can get this number in person at the State Tax Commission located at 210 North 1950 West, Salt Lake City, Utah. State Tax Commission - You will need to get a State Withholding Number in order to remit the State Tax you withhold from payroll.
  • The State Tax Commission is located at:
    210 N 1950 W
    Salt Lake City, UT 84134
    Phone: 801-297-2200
  • State Unemployment Insurance - State unemployment insurance is required for companies with employees. For further information contact the Utah Department of Workforce Services (Job Service).
  • Worker’s Compensation Insurance is required of all employers. This insurance may be obtained from private companies or the State Insurance Fund. Contact the Worker’s Compensation Fund of Utah, 392 East 6400 South, Salt Lake City, Utah (Phone: 288-8000).

Click here to complete you West Valley City Business License application.