What contractors are required?

Generally only the licensed general contractor is required to pull a building permit. The other subcontractors that we regulate will be on our contractor verification form (electrical, plumbing, mechanical). Note: If people contract to work on your house you should make sure they are licensed. We can do that for you.

License Requirements

Almost all contractors must be licensed with the State of Utah. The State of Utah requires that we confirm that the General Contractor/Builder, Electrical Contractor, Plumbing Contractor and the Mechanical Contractor are licensed. If you hire a General Contractor or Construction Company to build your home, it is their responsibility to assure West Valley City through the Contractor Verification Form that the sub-contractors are licensed.

If you are the owner and builder you are not required to have a license and you may do all the work yourself.

Show All Answers

1. Must plans be stamped?
2. Who may stamp plans?
3. What contractors are required?
4. Can I perform "Sweat Equity"?
5. What is the policy for moved buildings?
6. What is the policy on Manufactured Move-on Homes to be located outside a mobile home park?
7. What signatures are needed on permit applications, and who should take out the permit?
8. If I construct an addition or remodel, will I need to bring my existing building into compliance with current building codes?
9. Is a building permit required to re-roof your home? Either re-shingle, re-tar, or tar and gravel?
10. Is a building permit required to do a roof conversion?
11. What are simple joist, rafter and beam rules?
12. Should I shovel the snow off my roof?
13. Are weekend inspections available?
14. Do I need a permit to demolish a structure?
15. How long does it take to obtain a Demolition Permit?
16. How do I obtain a Demolition Permit?
17. What is a Contractor Verification Form and when do I need one?
18. What is a Landscape Agreement and when do I need one?
19. What is the penalty for building without a permit?