Can I rent out my basement?

Assuming your home is zoned for a single unit dwelling, the answer to this question will vary depending upon the location of the property, how the basement will be used, and how it is designed. Single unit dwellings located west of 4000 West are allowed to have a basement apartment or an internal accessory dwelling unit, so long as specific requirements are met.  

For properties east of 4000 West, a homeowner may rent a portion of the home only if all of the following standards are met: 

  • There is no more than one lease for any portion of the home.
  • All persons residing in the home live together as a single housekeeping unit where all residents maintain free access to all living spaces within the home and all exits to and from the home. In other words, those persons living in the basement must have free access to the upstairs.
  • There is no more than one door between a bedroom and any kitchen, living room, dining room or family room that is on the same floor as the bedroom.

Show All Answers

1. What is the zoning on my property?
2. What uses are allowed in a particular zone?
3. I would like to build a detached garage or shed. What zoning regulations apply?
4. I would like to add a patio cover to my house. What zoning regulations apply?
5. I would like to add an attached garage to my house. What zoning regulations apply?
6. Can I rent out my basement?
7. Can I have an accessory dwelling unit or mother-in-law apartment in or detached from my home?
8. What are the requirements for home occupations or home-based businesses?
9. How much parking is required for a particular use?
10. How tall can my fence be?
11. How many pets can I have?
12. Where can I find your design standards?
13. I have agricultural zoning on my property. How many animals can I have?